Its budget time, and you've got to stretch a tiny budget into a wealth of school supplies. I'm right there with you, and I often wish that there was some place that I could check to see what other teachers thought about certain products. So, I created one. I'll be posting my likes and dislikes on a variety of educational materials and supplies. You can post to! Please do, and make sure the product your discussing is in the title of your post to make it easier for people to search for what they're looking for. Thanks and happy hunting!

Find what you're lookin' for quickly!

Friday, November 12

The Search for Whiteboard Markers

With the advent of building renovations, I'm having my first whiteboard experience this year.  Since my old chalkboards were brown, and yellow/white chalk was difficult to see, I was anxious for students to finally be able to read the board.  .   .so much for dreaming, ha ha ha.  .  .

I can't seem to find whiteboard markers that don't wear out rather quickly.  I mean, we only just finished the first nine weeks:  how many sets of markers am I going to have to buy in a year?  Here's what my search has found so far:

Exp Low Odor Dry Erase Markers

Pro:  The comfortable handle is really much better than others, if that kind of thing matters to you.  There's a tiny eraser on the lid of the marker that comes in pretty handy for little mistakes.  The "low odor" part is true; I can barely smell these.  The set also came with a white "doctor" eraser that might come in handy if your board takes some abuse.

Con:  These markers don't fit in my neat little Darwin marker holder, ha ha ha.  Really, though, the important downfall is that these markers run low when you have to write a lot (as in a board full of notes).  For simple reminders and such, they're fine, but not for everyday, steady use.

Expo Washable Neon Markers 

Pro:  They're very pretty colors, which is why I bought them.

Con:  They begin to run out very quickly.  The colors don't show up well on the board AT ALL and yellow?  Give me a break!

Classroom Select Dry Erase Markers

Pro:  This set come with green!  Nice change in a science room.  These stay strong for boards worth of notes, but they're starting to run out as well.

Con:  The bottoms come off these pretty easily and then you've got marker all over your hands. 


Like I said, I'm new to whiteboards, so I'd love to hear what your experiences and preferences are!

No comments:

Post a Comment